Yum! homemade eggnog recipe
Dec 17, 2019
|Prep Time: 10min
||Total Time: 10min
||Calaroies: 372 kcal
This must be the best homemade eggnog recipe! Thick and creamy with the perfect mild flavor and hint of nutmeg. You'll never buy store-bought eggnog again!
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium bowl until light and creamy.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir often until mixture reaches a bare simmer.
- Add a big spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a big spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs.
- Once all of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove. Whisk constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened, just a few minutes (or until it reaches about 160 degrees F on a thermometer).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the eggnog into a pitcher or other container and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until chilled. It will thicken as it cools. If you want a thinner, completely smooth consistency, I like to add the entire mixture to a blender with 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon, and fresh whipped cream, if desired.
|6 large egg yolks
|1/2 cup sugar
|1 cup heavy cream
|2 cups milk
|1/2 tsp nutmeg
|Pinch of salt
|1/4 tsp vanilla extract
|ground cinnamon , for topping